Monday, January 26, 2009

The Mayor Steps Down

I've been away from the blog too long as I have been readying myself for the oncoming apocolypse that my fellow Kentuckians assure me is coming now that we've elected Barack Obama as PUSA. I peaked out from the bomb shelter long enough to hear the news that Sean Casey, the Mayor, has retired from baseball.

When I look back on my friendship with Nani, one of the discussions I remember us having is Sean Casey v. Mark Grace. It infuriated him to no end that I would call Casey a "poor man's Mark Grace". In actuality, they were about the same. Although Grace was a much better glove man. Just go to this awesome baseball site and you will notice that neither hit for average or drove in a lot of RBIs. They both were .300 batters who stretched a lot of triples into doubles and doubles into singles. Nothing that great, but better than average.

What each had going for them was a big personality that made them valuable in the clubhouse and popular in the stands. Baseball is a game where the past is just as important as the present and these two guys were the type of players that could be appreciated by fans of all ages.

So, farewell Mayor. Good luck in your new job at the MLB Network where you can swap stories about the old days with fellow Red Barry Larkin.

I expect Nani to begin the "Sean Casey for the Hall of Fame" blog any day now. That is unless President Obama has shut down the Hall of Fame because he hates America. That could really happen. Rush told me so!

2 comments:

Nani J. Cootsack said...

I'm glad to see you finally came to your senses.

Nani J. Cootsack said...

i was thinking about it and I believe the original debate was "Hal Morris is the poor man's Mark Grace."

I'll give you that one. Because I'm a nice guy.