Monday, January 19, 2009

Proud to Be an American? (updated w/ comments)



Now I know I live in Kentucky, but for some reason I thought I was far enough North, apparently not.

While walking out to my car yesterday I noticed my next door neighbor's flag was upside down. It was a bit windy, so I just chalked it up to that. When I came home later I took a second look from inside my house and was shocked to see that it was actually hung that way.

My neighbor is an older man, probably in his late 60's or early 70's and I am fully aware that we have opposing political beliefs. I was unaware just how different they were until yesterday when I caught him in the back yard taking out his trash.

Here's a brief recap of the conversation...

me: "So, what's with that?"
him: "What's with what?"
me: "Your flag."
him: "I guess you're not a Jarhead."
me: "Uh, nope, more of a Deadhead."
him: "We're in distress."
me: "Over what?"
him: "Come January 22nd he's going to send us all down the river."
me: "Really?"
him: "Yeah, and you know something else he's not a real nigger. He was born in Kenya."
me: "How would he get this far if he wasn't an American citizen?"
him: "Where was he five years ago? I'll tell you where... selling insurance."
me: "I did not know that. Well, it's the Lord's day we probably shouldn't be discussing politics anyways."
him: "It's only the Lord's day from 8am till noon."
me: "When it comes down to it though we're all still on the same team."
him: (undiscernible grumbling)
me: "It's cold, I'm going in."

So there you have it. The eve of the inauguration of the first black president just so happens to coincide with MLK day. As many of us begin to look forward to a future full of hope and innovation, some still can't get out of the past. I can only pray that as we turn this corner, the end of ignorance and racism will draw nearer. The last loud groan from the last of the dinosaurs as he crashes to the earth.

I'll never be able to change my neighbor's mind and don't plan on trying. There's a lot of work to be done over the next four years. I'll be busy, as many of us will, working toward uniting not only our country, but the world in one common goal, creating a better tomorrow for those that come after us.

History is happening right in front of your eyes. Now is the time to stand together and take part.

God bless America!

...................................
comments

"that is redick....i live in So dak and some of the shit you hear people say is just so juvenile and redneck"

"People like that are just scum of the earth. Seriously, his issues are far beyond political. You almost have to feel sorry for somebody that has such a miserable life that they spew that crap and actually believe it. Ignorance is bliss I suppose."

"i use to stick edge my neighbors house across the street because it looked like shit and he did not have the means to do it. he always thanked me and waved when whenever he would see me outside. after i posted an obama sign in my yard during the election he stopped talking and waving."

"Probs the same type of asshole that would call me unpatriotic because I didn't support bush or the war. Wow."

"i know wayyyy too many people who feel the same way."

"The "uber patriotic" religious/militant racist is a really strange archetype. I mean everyone's a hypocrite but how do these folks look themselves in the mirror daily without realizing how contradictory their entire belief system is?"

"omg...this saddens me to no end.
Compassion is a word that came far too late to the english/american lexicon."

"this country has come along way since MLK but still has a long way to go."

"What ever happened to 'love it or leave it'?
I guess that doesn't apply here."

"You should of just told him to support Obama's white half."

No comments: