Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Sarah Palin Files, Pt. 65

A fascinating look into the McCain-Palin internecine war.

As a footnote to this, I saw McCain flack Nicolle Wallace on David Gregory's show last night, and having previously seen her on other television shows strenuously pushing the McCain party line, I could tell something about her performance was "off." I don't know that I'd go as far as to say she was mailing it in, but certainly, she had lost the fire she displayed in the days after the Palin pick. I remember in particular watching her reject a journalist's suggestion that Palin should face press questions by dismissively stating, "Why should she talk to you? She's going to talk to the American people." Of course, I hated her answer and found her loathsome, but clearly she was passionate about her candidate.

Last night, not so much. I'd call it resignation to fate. It reminded me of this report and Wallace's quote in it:

Wallace declined to engage publicly in the finger-pointing that has consumed the campaign in the final weeks.

"I am in awe of [Palin's] strength under constant fire by the media," she said in an e-mail. "If someone wants to throw me under the bus, my personal belief is that the most graceful thing to do is to lie there."

Like that moment I had during Hardball where I felt sorry for Nancy Pfotenhauer as Chris Matthews took her apart, I am starting to feel sorry for yet another Republican Stepford fembot. I must be getting soft in my anticipation of the impending Obama electoral victory.

As encouraging as the McCain-Palin implosion has been, I still wonder if it will make a difference to voters. It should. We've had eight years of dysfunction, incompetence, and self-righteous idiocy. Time to turn the page.

No comments: